Sculpt by Katy Lloyd Sculpt by Katy Lloyd

The animal shapes were first laser-cut out of acrylic, so I had a base the correct size to work upon. It was very important that the outer edges were exact to the original design, as they were being made to fit inside holes in a larger prop. I shaped the relief design on top in clay.


Sculpt by Katy Lloyd

Then were then sprayed with paint (for extra smoothness) before being moulded in silicone. Here you can see a simple mould- an MDF 'wall' glued to an acrylic base.


Sculpt by Katy Lloyd

Here are the resin casts, freshly cured and popped from the mould. While the resin was still soft, we added colour pigment, and agitated it to create nice swirls and patterns of colour. We also used a pearlescent pigment so some parts would be more cloudy and opaque than others.


Sculpt by Katy Lloyd

Halfway through the project the clients decided they wanted the pieces green not brown...


Sculpt by Katy Lloyd

Some of the rabbits had to be double-sided, so I had to sculpt a mirror copy.


Sculpt by Katy Lloyd

They were nice and chunky when cast!


Sculpt by Katy Lloyd

The rabbit was my favourite design of the lot...


Boardgame by Katy Lloyd

Back to the board-game.. first I printed out a copy of the design at the correct scale, then used it as a template to draw out the shape on the MDF.


Boardgame by Katy Lloyd

Next I plotted the triangle pattern and used a pillar drill to drill the holes.


Boardgame by Katy Lloyd

The colours were painted on with lacquer, and were sanded back for a little aging. The pattern around the edge was plotted and then inked with a fine marker. A black marker was used to darken the edges between the holes.


Boardgame by Katy Lloyd

A clear lacquer was used to unite the colours and offer a final protection. The bamboo-stick pieces were painted with lacquer to match the board.